- Client University of Maryland College Park (UMD)
- Location Graces Quarters, MD
- Year 2020
- Project Focus Master Planning/Project Development
What We Did
- Supported the development of the three-phased development vision for the site.
- Prepared a detailed business and financial plan and project implementation timeline to guide project development.
- Supported UMD in assessing the economic development impact of implementing the R2C2 campus master plan.
MCFA is supporting the University of Maryland College Park (UMD) Research Development Office with master planning and project development support services for a Robotics Research Collaboration Campus (R2C2). The development of the 65-acre remote campus will enable UMD to offer students and faculty an advanced research, simulation, and testing facility for Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS). The campus will offer facilities for testing and evaluation of robotics and autonomous systems in a mixed augmented and virtual reality environment. Facilities and program offerings include shared laboratories and research staff with Army Research Laboratories (ARL) and challenge programs, joint curriculum development, and upskilling training in systems engineering and robotics.
MCFA completed the following services and deliverables during the contract period:
- Campus Master Planning – MCFA supported the development of a three-phased development vision for the site that recognized the site’s environmental constraints while meeting academic program requirements. The phased implementation plan includes the use of temporary structures and assets in the initial development phase to help expedite the functionality of the site in the shortest timeframe possible.
- Development of Regulatory and Incentive Strategies – MCFA assessed the impacts of proposed facilities and campus master plan recommendations and helped review and devise appropriate environmental and transportation mitigation strategies to mitigate any impacts.
- Business Planning – MCFA worked with key UMD faculty and research development office leadership to define academic program requirements and corresponding campus facilities and infrastructure requirements necessary to develop the business plan for the project. MCFA prepared a detailed business and financial plan and project implementation timeline to guide project development, decision making and responsibilities, a resource-loaded project work plan and schedule, and identification of project development milestones and action plan assignments to responsible parties.
- Economic Development Strategic Planning – MCFA supported UMD in assessing the economic development impact of implementing the R2C2 campus master plan. Part of MCFA’s economic development strategic planning efforts includes helping bring a collaborative partnership between UMD and ARL to fruition. This unique jointly funded venture enabled both UMD and ARL to meet critical academic and research needs in an expedited manner at the lowest possible costs.